Thursday, May 23, 2013

The information segment of this blog

Hello internet friends.

I briefly touched on the whole idea behind this blog in my last post, but I was on a roll and kept going with Nautical Erica since that's who I am right now, or was two days ago. I thought I should explain a little more about what I'm doing so you'll get it.

Like I said before, I seem to get really into different things at different times, but they're mostly the same things over and over depending on the time of year or what I'm missing in my life, or maybe what foods I'm craving at the moment. I think everyone probably does this to some extent, like when you're sad or lonely you want to eat something your mom or dad used to cook for you when you were little. It's like that. I get these cravings for places and things when I miss them, or when I'm reading about them, or any old thing that sets them off.

Let me lay it out for you. These are the Ericas that you will most likely see this year:


Old Ivy League Erica: Bonfires. Lots of rooms covered in dark wood and hunter green. Ancient tomes. Men who put their arms around each other.  Might be somewhere in the north east. Wood paneled dorm room with pennants and a nice collection of mens finery, like coats, a flask, hats, shoes that are properly taken care of, (leather of course) and books. Warm musty smells. Hallowed halls. Letters to and from people. Classes that are challenging and interesting. Teachers with elbow patches and interesting hair styles.  Rowdy Dining halls. Smokey bars without the modern douche bag.


This Erica likes to come out in September, when school begins.


1980s Midwest Erica:
Macaroni and cheese from a box. Comfortable brown furniture. Meatloaf, potatoes, BLT. No cellphones, Internet, complicated things. Friendly people, stretchy pants. The 80's I remember in Indiana mixed with Roseanne. Making up dance routines, watching movies over and over on VHS, side ponytails with scrunchies, hot pink, muggy nights and firefly's, Dairy Queen, no cable. Phones with long stretchy cords. Less worrying, more friends. Board games

 This Erica appears when I'm missing my family, or when I need some Indiana time, or when I watch too much Roseanne. Which is all the time. And also August.



New Age Hippie Erica:
Dr Bronners soap, books for traveling to hot springs and other new age hippie places with addresses and pictures instead of websites. Cleaning products that smell like plants and have non fancy labels. Green before green was something other than a color. Eastern thought, no bra, no makeup, soft clothes, mesh grocery bags, Aware of the earth.

 I am you, you are me, we are we.
This Erica will appear when she gets tired of plastic bags and people drinking bottled water.



Chef:
Recipes, food, when I'm obsessed with cooking. Like most of the time.


This Erica will emerge when dinner is to be made.






Nautical:
Sporty on the ocean. More of a summer personality. Slight overlap with Ivy league Erica. Capable, adventurous, smart, smartly dressed. Melvillian. Aware of the weather and thoroughly enjoying it.





Summer is the best time to find Nautical Erica.



History Erica:
Nunney Castle, genealogy, sewing cloaks, researching things like I will die if I stop researching some obscure time period, etc.

 History Erica shows herself between other Ericas, when reading too much or becoming obsessed with time periods. One can never know when it will happen.




Regular Erica:
Doing way too many dishes, cleaning, taking care of cats, Mike, mid-century furniture, funky things, and being me. Oh, and Ophthalmic Dispensing.












There are more Ericas, and there will be new ones too, which is what makes this whole thing so exciting. It's partly just so I can try to understand myself, but also so everyone who reads it can understand the different parts that make them who they are. Maybe some people don't have their parts so separate like I do, and maybe they do and they don't know yet. But Having all these different sides of myself makes life more fun and gives me new perspectives from which to view everyday things.

1 comment: